High over a gorge of the River Teifi, so close to the edge that large parts of the outer wall have fallen, Cilgerran Castle presents to the landward side two massive round towers built of the thin slatey stone available. These were the key defences because the castle stands on a promontory between the Teifi Gorge and the smaller but still precipitous gorge of the Plysgog stream. It has an obscure early history, probably a Norman foundation after 1100, it fell to the Lord Rhys, Prince of South Wales, in 1165, was retaken by the Earl of Pembroke in 1204 and contested until 1223 when the next Earl of Pembroke recaptured it. It was then rebuilt, beginning with the two towers, in front of which a ditch was hacked out of the bedrock of the promontory. A high wall runs out from the eastern tower to the edge of the gorge.
Throughout the year events are held at the Castle including the annual Medieval Festival and live performances in the summer organised by Theatre Mwldan usually including Shakespeare and a performance for children.
Cilgerran Castle is in the guardianship of Cadw – The Welsh Assembly Government’s historic environment service.
Closed 1 January and 24 to 26 December. Last admission is 30 minutes before closing. Please check opening times with Cadw.
Cilgerran Castle is in the village of Cilgerran, near Cardigan, Pembrokeshire SA43 2SF. Leave Cardigan on A478 or A484, Cilgerran is signposted.
OS map 145: SN 195431
Toilets, disabled toilets and guidebooks are available, there is an on-site gift shop. An induction loop is also available.
Admission is charged
Dogs on leads are allowed.
Info source: West Wales Holiday Cottages
Image credit: Coflein